[hackerspaces] EHSM-2014 reduced tickets on Pi Day!

Sébastien Bourdeauducq sb at m-labs.hk
Thu Mar 13 19:39:11 CET 2014

The Exceptional Hardware and Software Meeting celebrates Pi Day! This
Friday, midnight to midnight (German time), tickets are only 70€
(instead of 95€) in honor of Pi.

We are also happy to announce the first talks:

INSIDE THE GENOME SEQUENCING REVOLUTION: UNDER THE HOOD OF AN ILLUMINA
SEQUENCER

Since the introduction of 'next-generation' sequencers, the cost of
sequencing a single human genome has fallen exponentially; even much
faster than Moore's Law. Modern fluorescence-based genome sequencers are
complex instruments that can sequence billions of basepairs in a matter
of days by sequencing millions of fragments of a genome in parallel. In
this talk, I show how we have deconstructed one of the pioneering
Illumina instruments, explain how it works, and show how we have managed
to reconstruct an automated fluorescence imaging microscope system from
scrapped Illumina sequencer parts.

OPEN SOURCE VERILOG HDL SYNTHESIS WITH YOSYS

Yosys is the first full-featured open source software for Verilog HDL
synthesis. It supports most of Verilog-2005 and is well tested with
real-world designs from the ASIC and FPGA world.
Learn how to use Yosys to create your own custom synthesis flow and
discover why open source HDL synthesis is important for researchers,
hobbyists, educators and engineers alike.
The presentation covers basic concepts of Yosys and writing simple
synthesis scripts. There will be also a workshop covering advanced topics.
Yosys is the first step towards a fully open FPGA/ASIC toolchain, and is
currently used with vendor place-and-route tools.

PRINCIPLES OF MASS SPECTROMETRY

Mass spectrometry is a very useful tool in solid-state physics research
and material analysis.
The presentation will cover three spectrometry techniques: Secondary Ion
Mass Spectrometry (SIMS), Glow Discharge Mass Spectrometry (GDMS) and
Spark Source Mass Spectrometry (SSMS).
It will explain the principles of operation and the construction of
example devices and their "hearts" - quadrupole and double focusing mass
spectrometers.
For a mass spectrometer to work, the analyzed material needs to be
ionized first. The talk will show how that happens in SIMS, GDMS and SSMS.
Finally, the presentation will show sample measurement results.

Many others will be announced later. Join us in Hamburg, Germany on June
27-29 for three days of exciting talks, tutorials and demos! More
information on http://ehsm.eu