[hackerspaces] SpaceBlogs updated... who wants to help and add spaces?

hellekin hellekin at hackerspaces.org
Tue Mar 11 19:03:39 CET 2014

On 03/11/2014 11:43 AM, Elger Jonker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> SpaceBlogs aggegrates feeds from hackerspaces and makerspaces. Much like
> earth.hackerspaces.org <http://earth.hackerspaces.org> (did). I like the
> project and just migrated it to wordpress multisite, fixed some long
> standing issues and added a world map.

*** Thank you for that. However I think it would be better to integrate
with the existing infrastructure.

As your solution is based on Wordpress, which also powers
blog.hackerspaces.org, it would be nice to integrate that:
blog.hackerspaces.org would sitll pull the main hackerspaces|flux but
earth.hackerspaces.org would go straight to the planet. All would run on
the same Wordpress instance with your custom theme...

> Now there are some things to do:
> - All spaces need some sort of a profile, logo and direct link info.

*** ... The hackerspaces profiles would then simply point to their
existing wiki page, on hackerspaces.org.

> - More spaces need to be added (currently about 50 active feeds)

*** e.h.o is dormant because nobody is asking to be added, and no
publicity is made about it. The process is manual, so work-intensive,
and some automation would be nice.

Did you contemplate the possibility to get the blog feed URL and icon
straight from the wiki into the wordpress?  I remember that most spaces
at the time didn't have a proper 50x50 image for e.h.o and the whole
process has been manual. If we can integrate the wiki and wordpress
better, automation bliss could happen.

> So basically i'm asking: who wants to help with these tasks? I thinks we
> can make great additions in just a few nights by grinding all the feeds...
>
> Who wants to help out?
>
> http://www.spaceblogs.org
>
> Regards,
> Elger

*** Thank you for your interest, I hope to see your wordpress setup
merge with blog.hackerspaces.org.

==
hk