[hackerspaces] where to do PhD hacker style - probably independent funding needing just the stamp and official supervision

Christie Dudley christie at HackCounsel.com
Sat Jun 7 09:17:36 CEST 2014

Hey, this got me thinking about a friend from way back who got his PhD
in the history of science through one of the earliest distance learning
programs. His approach was very much different than anything I had heard
up to that point and thought it was *very* hackerish, since most of his
work was supervised by working biologists rather than historians.

The school that he was working with (I hesitate to say "attended"
because it's... a flexible program) was The Union Institute and
University, based out of Cincinnati. http://www.myunion.edu/

When you describe your work, it sounds as much biology as food science.
Also a little bit of horticulture thrown in for good measure. Most
schools will support an interdisciplinary approach like that, so finding
people in the field that you admire and who would take you on as your
adviser is probably the most important thing.

Christie

On 6/4/14, 3:45, Frantisek Apfelbeck wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I am thinking about doing a PhD. on the stuff which I do within the
hacker community for several years, my field is food&beverage biotech. I
wonder if people would know places/universities which would be friendly
to the alternative topics like these. I've a project which I'm working
on and off for several years now and I want to move it further forward
considering it as a PhD project actually, you can find rough info to get
idea here

> http://frantisekapfelbeck.org/doku.php?id=chihiro
>
> Funding through the UNI would be nice but not necessary, I believe
that I can get most of the resources through crowdsourcing and another
alternative ways valuing my freedom than funds with strings. This means
that long distance and external supervisors etc. are fine with me but
still I need to find place which has the "qualification" to give me the
PhD. at  the end. I'm Czech by the way so EU should be more friendly for
me and cheaper if I have to pay.

> Many thanks for any info, I'll share it in the future with others who
may go similar path, it starting to be more frequent desire seems to me
to get recognition in the academic sector but use alternative
base/approach and fundings.

> Sincerely from Jeju, South Korea,
>
> Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck
> PS I have master degree in genetic engineering and "on wait" master
thesis in biotech and good recommendation from both academic hacker
community. The reason for the PhD. is partly forcing myself to a more
systematic approach and also using the "possible PhD." to smoothen the
ways to bring forward some of the projects which lies ahead.

>    chihiro [frantisekapfelbeck]
> This project is focused on promotion and development of food
sustainability in local rural communities using variety of fermentation
cultures and techniques.
> View on frantisekapfelbeck.org Preview by Yahoo
>

> biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker
>

> http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org
>

> "There is no way to peace, peace is the way." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

- --
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Class C poetic license in the land of broken memes.