[hackerspaces] Rent: is a space 'business usage'? (legal questions, Germany)

hadez hadez.hso at nrrd.de
Mon Feb 17 12:23:28 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Björn Oelke <bo at kbct.de> wrote:
> Hi,

Moin,

> our hackerspace[1] needs to move soon and the landlord of a potential new location just said he's sorry but he was told he needs an additional permission by the authorities to rent out the room to a club. ("Gewerbliche Nutzung")
>
> We're non-profit, in German "gemeinnütziger Verein", and we're not using the location for commercial purposes, just some club mate and stuff like that with nearly no margin.
>
> I'd be happy if someone could clarify this. :)

IANAL. But I can add another data point.
shackspace is renting in a building that's zoned for commercial use
and our lease is a business lease.
Not sure if that's a requirement though, that's just how it happened ;)

One core difference to keep in mind here is that business leases have
shorter termination notice times and you can get evicted a lot easier
compared to regular private renting agreements.
Unless you have issues with your landlord or planning on having them
in the future that shouldn't be an issue though ;)
--
Grüße aus Stuttgart,
hadez