[hackerspaces] Examples wanted -- art and hackerspaces

David Potocnik david.potocnik at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 19:12:50 CET 2014

I think Ljudmila from Ljubljana, Slovenia is an excellent and relevant
example, possibly a unicum.

Basically founded in 1992 from avantgarde art + need to do early
desktop publishing (=enabling art), it's a hackerspace focused on art
+ tech reflecting and transforming society.
http://wiki.ljudmila.org/Association

They are mostly completely publicly funded.
This includes space, they're able to support/employ people, have
project resources, and are a grant player on city + country + EU level
grants.
Some grants are support grants (cultural institutions), some are
projects grants.

They take on big projects.
Example
* the official government culture portal http://culture.si . Behind
the scenes, it's a platform for hacking Mediawiki, open data, pushing
awareness and legislation on open licenses, etc.
* They've been made the national coordinator of EU's Digital Agenda
(with the national library).

You will need to plan mid- and long-term to get there. You will need
people dedicated to do grants.

You should get in touch with them, they're pretty cool.

David
from CHT#1 hackbase, Canary islands
http://ch.totalism.org