[hackerspaces] Counter Surveillance Discovering Technology Workshops (DiscoTech!)

Willow Brugh willow.bl00 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 16:25:24 CET 2014

I'm working with the Codesign Studio out of MIT's Media Lab on some counter
surveillance DiscoTechs.

A big part of the power dynamic in surveillance culture has to do with its
one-sided nature - not only are historically marginalized communities more
at risk, but also less likely to have access to understanding the tools
used to surveil them. DiscoTechs are about learning about how the tools
work, how they affect you, and what can be done about it. Some
cryptoparties have looked like this, and we're hoping to accent that aspect.

Some events will be hackathons (such as the one with RightsCon) to work on
countersurveillance tools. If you'd like to attend or create one, details
are at http://codesign.mit.edu/discotechs/

Cheers!

Willow Brugh // willowbl00 <http://blog.bl00cyb.org/> // stick figures for
hire <http://viz.bl00cyb.org>