[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces and alternative/crypto-currency (Was: How to make money to sustain a hackerspace)

Randall Arnold randall.arnold at texrat.net
Thu Dec 11 17:48:35 CET 2014

Edward,

Thanks for the reference.

With Tarrant Makers, we were designed to be very community-oriented and
structured to develop/support 1 to n number of physical spaces.  We recognized
that spaces in our region (Tarrant county) could be created by any number of
organizations, including local libraries, and we wanted to create a meta concept
of perks and privileges that would span all of them (assuming space buy-in of
course).  The solution as we saw it was as you say, an alternative currency.  I
was working on a points-based system, using something like myCRED
(https://wordpress.org/plugins/mycred/) which has a Wordpress plugin and a
fairly decent following.  Members can buy points using a variety of means,
including Paypal.  We would create a local, members-only economy as you also
note, including the ability for volunteers to earn points, gift points, cash
out, etc.

Even though our organization failed I still think this is a good idea, even for
a single space.  The one caveat is that once you decouple your community economy
from the national economy, things like inflation can be an issue... but I would
expect that points would be consumed and traded at a rate that would make this
largely moot.

Randy