[hackerspaces] How to make money to sustain a hackerspace

Robert Davidson robert at dallasmakerspace.org
Mon Dec 8 17:29:24 CET 2014

So the most important thing for any maker-space is reoccurring billing you
must have a automated billing system in place, if that is not in place that
should be the number one item to focus on.

The next thing I would do is tell the membership in a meeting/email/forum
how ever you communicate and let them know that we are in crisis and we
don't make enough money to pay our bills ask them what they think.

I would hope that your members decide to raise dues until you can pay your
monthly expenses.

*Short Term Gain's idea (Not Longterm or sustainable)*

Lifetime Memberships can get you short term capital but it must be replaced
with a new member to cover the monthly expenses (1 yr- 2 yr of membership
cost)

Member Loans to the Organization (I don't know how you are organized so
this may or may not be viable)

Donation Drives (With Simple Goals like help us pay our power bill)

Founder Rates (Offer a deal to pay higher amount now and the organization
will lower the rate or keep the rate the same in the future)

Classes are for sure viable but remember unless your paying the teachers
they are volunteering so be careful not to burn them out (Some people can
help with Time other it's easier to just help with Cash)

*Long Term Gain's*

A Culture of Recruitment

Advertising (Must have a Positive ROI)

REOCCURRING BILLING (I can't stress this enough you should not have to
worry about late payments and if your membership is going to pay you this
month)

Recruiting Drives (Go to Colleges, User Groups, Job Fairs, Art Fairs)

The overview IMO is don't spend any money on raising money if you don't
have the capital to even pay next months expenses (Fundraising does not
work if the building is foreclosed on or the power is shut off)
Focus on your existing membership make sure they share the vision and know
that the community will die if we can't raise enough funds)

Robert Davidson
Dallas Makerspace