[hackerspaces] Mailing List Software

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Fri Apr 25 22:19:13 CEST 2014

A little more background on Discourse.  Jeff Atwood (of Stack Overflow)
created it because SO prohibits discussion, vague questions, and opinions,
but had a lot of good features for moderating those things.  Discourse was
the result of that.  It's the best forum software I've seen to date.  It's
built in Ruby on Rails.

-Ed

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Paul Brown <paul90brown at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure if all the posts were via e-mail. But, it looks like they
> recently added a feature to post a new topic via e-mail. This pull request
> explains the feature: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/2012
>
> You can also reply via e-mail.
>

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Chris Weiss <cweiss at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> we used to use FUDForum with mailmain integration, it was OK, but
>> reply detection was kind of weak, and the admin interface was just
>> crazy complicated, but so powerful.  theming was also difficult.
>>
>> on the forum you linked, are all the posts via email?

Edward L. Platt
http://elplatt.com
http://civic.mit.edu/users/elplatt
http://i3detroit.com