[hackerspaces] Failing/failed hackerspaces

Joseph Connolly connolly.joseph at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 18:29:19 CEST 2014

Hi Mark, I'll answer one of those questions -- the common mistake I've
seen people make which resulted in new hackerspaces failing is taking
a "build it and they will come" approach.  When starting up a
makerspace/hackerspace it helps a lot if you do the work ahead of time
of locating, connecting with or building a customer base.  It can take
a long time to educate people about what a hackerspace is and why
they'd want to frequent one.  So doing that work when you've already
opened and you're running a burn rate is a frequent mistake.