[hackerspaces] Insurance, liability and kids

Will Bradley bradley.will at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 11:50:13 CEST 2013

Carolyn, our space (HeatSync Labs in Arizona) allows kids but "treats them
like adults" -- in other words we don't babysit anyone at any age, if you
need supervision then your parent must (really, actively) supervise you.
Our liability waiver has a section for minors which we make the minor sign
(so they know to be responsible) and the parent sign (so it's legal.) We
also heavily encourage parents to attend WITH their kids or at least tour
the place and understand what kinds of dangers are present, so they're
adequately informed. One parent actually sent her kid to us to do something
dangerous because she trusted us better than she trusted herself (jee,
thanks! But it turned out alright.)

Our space is somewhat divided, the front is tables and the back is shop; at
the entrance to the back we have a sign that says minors must be
accompanied by an adult.

We've got liability and accident insurance and have told our insurer that
we do host classes with minors and what kinds of classes we teach. They
didn't seem to think it was a big deal; I'm sure we're in a similar
category as summer camps or scouts. The people who freak out most about
this tend to be "backseat driver" types who have plenty of time to be
worried and write emails but not much time to actually show up, discuss
things, research things, or improve things. Our insurer and lawyer
certainly don't freak out about these things.

If our landlord was making a fuss, I'd coordinate something with the board
/ select group of members to meet with them and discuss any concerns. It's
important to maintain a good relationship with your business partners so
they're on your side, if they're freaking out it may be because they
weren't told about something they consider important. Or maybe they just
hate kids. I feel you can defuse the situation by explaining the various
precautions taken; kids aren't necessarily a huge risk especially if the
parents are there, forms are signed, and insurance is purchased. You can
get a million dollars of "accidentally blew up the building" insurance for
cheap, easy way to calm down a landlord. Accident/injury insurance isn't
too expensive either, just bite the bullet and call.

If you're having trouble finding an insurer, contact me directly and I'll
refer you to HeatSync's insurers.