[hackerspaces] Insurance, liability and kids

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 00:00:53 CEST 2013

Interesting thoughts on the subject. I know a bit about law, although I am
not a lawyer, no am I able to give legal advice.

First, to be clear, anyone may be sued at any time for any reason. It can
get thrown out of court quickly if it's obviously stupid, but usually if
there's a problem, it isn't.

Second of all, someone needs to tell that landlord that he leased out the
building and has relinquished control of it. He is only increasing his
liability by hanging about the place and acting like he's responsible. The
landlord is only responsible if there is a building condition (broken
floorboard, vicious plumbing, etc.) that caused the damage. Of course, that
doesn't mean they won't sue. (See above.)

Now, I kind of hate tort law, but there are some principles that matter
here:

Unusually dangerous activity: When an activity is not the normal sort (such
as Matt's metal shavings problem) it falls into this category. Law students
love these because it's strict liability, fast track to liability. They
don't have to show that a duty was breached because it's inherently
dangerous.

Assuming the risk: When kids play baseball, or whatever extreme sports kids
are into these days, they know that there's a danger and accept that there
is risk involved, but do it anyway. That's why you'll see "assume the risk"
crop up on waivers. It's how all the crazy shit that goes on in the bay
area (fire arts festival anyone?) could possibly happen. (And why Burning
Man has not been sued out of existence.) Oh, and kids (under 18) can't
legally sign waivers, although they can assume the risk. Best to get their
parents in on it.

Finally, insurance companies know all this. They have pretty good lawyers.
That means that when there is a problem, they're poised to respond. As a
result, this kind of insurance isn't all that expensive. It's definitely
worth having if for no other reason than you don't have to worry about what
happens if people hurt themselves and someone else has to deal with it.

Christie

________
Freedom of expression is the matrix, the indispensable condition, of nearly
every other form of freedom.
 - Justice Benjamin N. Cardozo

If you're interested in my work,
Videos of my talks can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/longobord