[hackerspaces] Hackaday series on hackerspaces

Steven Sutton ssutton4455 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 00:12:23 CEST 2013

Meetup was great for us too. We get some visitors from HaD, but most of
ours come from people searching Google for "Atlanta makerspace" or Atlanta
hackerspace." Our blog stats are a pretty good indicator of how our
visitors find us, so that is something to watch.

However, I think we benefit from the recent focus on hackerspaces in that
it is really beneficial for them to collect up and curate some data about
how our spaces are run, what works and what doesn't,and so forth. Even
recently, more than half (and actually probably close to two-thirds) of the
people that come into our space either have no idea of what we do or
misunderstand it enough to have seriously unrealistic expectations.

We have between 3 and 15 new people for each weekly Open House, but the
signal-to-noise ratio isn't very great. Of course, I guess there will
always be perpetual motion fanatics that are bent on creating breakaway
libertarian paradises in international waters and people that want to host
children's theater / puppet shows in our space.

TL;DR: Atlanta is a pretty weird city.

Steven Sutton
President, Freeside Atlanta
www.freesideatlanta.org