[hackerspaces] Grant Funding Experiences

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Tue Mar 19 20:41:30 CET 2013

Many companies offer grants to nonprofits that their employees volunteer
at.  I know i3 Detroit got such a grant from Eaton Corporation.

As for project-based grants, I have a related question: if a member wants
to use the group's 501c3 status to apply for a project grant, what happens
if the member doesn't finish the project? Have any groups successfully
applied for project-based grants?  Have any groups had to deal with
unfinished, grant-funded projects?

-Ed

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Alan Fay <emptyset at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings from Freeside Atlanta!
>
> This topic is very US-centric, so apologies in advance to our
> international friends.
>
> I'm interested to learn more about what other US hackerspaces have
> experienced with obtaining US government or foundation grants and other
> sources of funding.  My research into the subject has turned up very little.
>
> I see a lot of controversy over hackerspaces accepting DARPA funding, but
> I don't see any articles about individuals or hackerspaces demonstrating or
> blogging about the products of such work.  I can't tell if this is because
> the hackerspaces or individuals are under NDA, or if this implies that
> DARPA funding just isn't happening.
>
> There's only been a handful of discussions about DARPA on grants on this
> mailing list, in the archives - which don't give me much to go on.
>
> I've also read that some hackerspaces have gotten grants or equipment
> donations from businesses like Adafruit, but information about such a
> program or how to qualify/apply is nowhere to be found on the Adafruit
> website.
>
> - What kind of grants has your hackerspace applied for?
> - Any success stories?
> - Did you have to hire or work with a grant writer or other organization
> for assistance?
> - More importantly, was the effort ultimately worth it, or is time better
> spent seeking out local sources of funding (generous members or local
> businesses?)
>
> I'm not so much interested in a debate about the merits of accepting money
> from certain sources - I'm at this juncture only interested to find out if
> anyone has actual experience in funding their hackerspace from outside
> sources like these.

Edward L. Platt
http://elplatt.com
http://civic.mit.edu/users/elplatt