[hackerspaces] Any hackerspaces selling electronics to the public?

Adam Mayer phooky at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 18:40:57 CET 2013

At NYCR we stock a bunch of supplies in our vending machine. Right now
we've got a variety of breadboards, Raspberry Pis, Teensy 2.0 and
2.0++s, googley-eye shields, USBTinyISPs, and FTDI serial cables. Some
stuff, like the Pis, sell very well; other stuff (hello USBTinyISPs!)
languishes.

Selling kits and parts makes sense if you've got a steady stream of
people visiting the space. Most of our sales come from people coming
to craft or laser night or one of our classes. It's not a big revenue
stream for us, but it's a really nice bonus for visitors. Getting
started with microcontrollers can be intimidating, and being able to
purchase one and get started immediately in a supportive environment
is huge.

-a