[hackerspaces] pick and place..?

Bob Baddeley hackerspace-discuss at bobbaddeley.com
Mon Jun 24 20:12:18 CEST 2013

I've looked into it for our space (Sector67, Madison, WI). Our original
plan was to make our own, using LinuxCNC and a modified CNC. There are
some open source/hardware projects (openpnp) trying to come up with
designs, but the project is still in its early stages.

There are some really challenging problems with making your own, though.
Problems like alignment, reel advancing, even pulling the tape off the reel.

Next, it's only good for SMT components, which involves a lot of other
tools for the rest of the process. If you're going to have a pick and
place, then you'll need a way to make PCB stencils (laser cutter), and
you'll need either a hot plate or a modified toaster oven or a real
reflow oven. It can all be done, it's just so much work. The reality is
that unless you're doing a pretty decent quantity of boards, it's not
going to be used very much, and if your runs are large enough, it's
probably better to outsource it.

So yes, it's on our wish list, but it's not that high on the list.

Bob Baddeley