[hackerspaces] Please explain this to me

Serendipity Seraph sseraph at me.com
Fri Jul 26 09:50:53 CEST 2013

On Jul 25, 2013, at 6:06 PM, Philip Poten wrote:

> 2013/7/26 Far McKon <farmckon at gmail.com>:
>> Those venues (and CCC)  have ties to
>> libertarianism, older school hippies, and human empowerment.
>
> I'm not sure how exact this terminology is, but I'd be hard pressed to
> find many among my friends that buy into the kind of libertarianism
> that's currently being peddled for example by the Pauls in the US.

I can't help it if a lot of people and apparently their friends don't get something as simple as the freedom to live your own life pursing achieving your own
happiness without infringing on the rights of others to do the same.     But I agree that the concept of a hackerspace per se is apolitical.

> I'd be a bit more cautious when using political labels to describe
> organisations such as the CCC or the hackerspace movement. They
> probably didn't do their thing to have it later being sold as a
> declaration of support for a certain political idea.

- s