[hackerspaces] Re billing for laser burn hours. Webcam+OCR software. - lazzzorauth

Walter van Holst walter at revspace.nl
Mon Jan 21 09:38:35 CET 2013

On 2013-01-21 09:17, Overflo wrote:
> hi,
>
> at the metalab in vienna we have the same issues..
> we have an expensive EXT36 lasercuter from epilog and from time to
> time
> people put PVC in it or come and use it without knowing what they are
> doing
> and without proper introduction.
> this is of course not a good thing and therefor i implemented an
> autenttication service that was running in testmode now for two months
> and
> will be officially launched this week.

We have an el-cheapo Chinese lasercutter with a LAOSlaser controller
(total cost < 2k EUR), but still the most expensive piece of equipment
we have. So far the big signs we put up have prevented any idiocy such
as you describe. There are still plans to use several interlocks +
iButtons for authentication, but billing is so fare done based on pen +
paper and time spent with the lasercutter. Is not as nice as burn time,
OTOH setup time still occupies it.

Regards,

  Walter