[hackerspaces] Re billing for laser burn hours. Webcam+OCR software. - lazzzorauth

Overflo flo at tekstix.com
Mon Jan 21 09:17:42 CET 2013

hi,

at the metalab in vienna we have the same issues..
we have an expensive EXT36 lasercuter from epilog and from time to time
people put PVC in it or come and use it without knowing what they are doing
and without proper introduction.
this is of course not a good thing and therefor i implemented an
autenttication service that was running in testmode now for two months and
will be officially launched this week.

we wanted:
 - reproduceable hardware/software for future projects
 - unobstrusive (no soldering on the machine)
 - compatible with our existing authentication method (iButtons)

i made:
 - embedded linux system (els) with network connection
 - MCU for ibutton reading
 - display
 - button

the ELS gets a list of authenticated buttons from the server and caches it
locally.
this happens every 2 minutes or so ..
when an authenticated button is scanned the ELS displays a text "id $blah
authenticated. user $foo logged in sucessfully"
user is logged out by pressing the button or automagically after a timeout
of 15 minutes.
user auth/logout is logged in a local database.
the laser offers no interfaces to read when a job starts/ends therefor i
connected a hall-sensor next to the valve switch.
the electro-magnetic valve on the air compressor is turned on when a job
starts and turned off as soon as the job finishes..
this works very reliable.

when the user is logged in the ELS turns on the network forwarding. ( echo
1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward)
usually forwaring is disabled.

the lazzzorcutter has an ip that can only be reached from the lazzzorauth
system.

on the windows box instead of the lazzzor the ELS is used as "printer".
this works for all network enabled devices alike.

i will install it into live mode today and plan to document it in detail
on the metalab wiki.
contact me if you are interested and let me know what you need/want to use
this project.

tje sector67 project looks also very promising.

remember: next time i start something i should first ask here to join
forces BEFORE investing a ot of time :)

:*
-flo

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:00:36 -0500, James Arthur <iam at jamesarthur.info>
wrote:
> I would be most interested in how you got here, and following your
> progress.
>
> I can see if I can't get some folks on our end [CEMI.org in Somerville,
MA]