[hackerspaces] How Do You Bring In Women?

spider spider at spiderwebz.nl
Fri Jan 18 19:31:42 CET 2013

On 18.01.2013 19:00, Zack Freedman wrote:
> It seems like many hackerspaces get women through the doors but scare
> them off. The MakerBar has a slightly different problem - women
> simply
> never show up in the first place!
>
> Of the 750+ people who have come through our doors, perhaps ten have
> been women. I'm wondering how to increase this.

Hold this thought!

> Women of the hackerspace universe, how did you find out about your
> current space? What event brought you in?

I'm fitting the stereo type. Friends birthday, meeting a great bunch of
people, went to another party and another party, irc, meeting boyfriend,
getting sucked in big time while organizing HAR2009. But, to be hones, I
was already a geek I just didn't know about the hacker community being
so close and inspiring.

> For what it's worth, our 'stickiness' with women may even be better
> than men. Of those ~10 women who've shown up, one is a member and two
> are diehard class and open-house addicts who come back very often.
> Almost all of our members are married or in committed relationships;
> either way, we're a pretty classy and non-creeper bunch that I can't
> see scaring anyone away.

For starters, let you members bring their wives and girlfriends. Ask
them what they would like to do in your space, why they don't come more
often.

> It must be awkward being the only girl at a space, and I'd like to
> get
> a critical mass to make anyone, no matter what demographic, more
> comfortable.

It can be, but it doesn't have to be. Apparently your only female
member doesn't care, otherwise she wouldn't come back. I wouldn't mind
either, I only care about being treated with respect while having fun.
Not being stood off as "the girl that doesn't know", but taking time to
explain things so I can learn them. I'm a noob, I already know that, now
go on and make me less of a noob!