[hackerspaces] Hackers, feminism, and bullying

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jan 18 10:52:18 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 02:30:07AM -0600, Rhys Rhaven wrote:
> I was expecting this kind of reply actually. This:
> http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Oppression_Olympics you're just going
> the opposite way. "Men aren't oppressed, therefore stfu"
>
> Way to dismiss valid criticism. I will repeat, I want actual balance,
> actual equality, and its ineffective to make things heavily skewed to
> exclude men as the enemy.

I strongly suggest to discourage discussing gender issues on hacker
mailing lists. Reason: they draw gender trolls, and result
in threads with plenty of heat, and very little light.

The problem might be real, but I suggest that we should ban
that particular topic, at least on this mailing list.

(I anticipate heated reactions to this post, which will only
prove my point, so let's not).