[hackerspaces] Women in Makerspaces

Philipp Tiefenbacher wizards23 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 15:23:59 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Melissa Hall <melissa.hall at gmail.com> wrote:
> The first was in the bylaws meeting.  I wanted leadership to be my
> nomination from someone else.  That got changed to encourage
> self-nomination.  Someone said "I don't think you should be a leader if you
> are not willing to ask for it".  I didn't fight that and have regretted it
> ever since.

I come from Metalab and at the moment our board consists of two woman
and one man (sadly our members are more like 20% to 80%) These people
nominated them selves. I once was also on the board which also was my
own decision. I don't think that nomination by someone else is a good
approach because being on the board takes much time and commitment. I
think a person should decide them self if (s)he wants to commit to
something like that. If you get nominated you might feel obligated to
do it which might lead to troubles when you have too little
time/motivation to do your duties.

Maybe I should add that the board of directors does not really decide
anything. The space is self organized and the board only does the
(financial) administration that is required by law.

greetings
Philipp

--
:: Philipp Tiefenbacher
:: custom electronics/magic

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
--Arthur C. Clarke