[hackerspaces] Firearms in Hackerspaces?

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 23:46:38 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Phillip Rhodes
<motley.crue.fan at gmail.com>wrote:

> If that were true, then how could anyone ever use a drill press, band
> saw, lathe, etc.
> I think having a healthy-respect for tools is one thing, but being
> *afraid* of them is quite
> something else.  But maybe we're just debating semantics?
>
> At any rate, all tools can be dangerous and deserve to be used with care
> and
> the proper precautions.  In that regard, how is a pistol any different
> from a band-saw?

Come on now, a gun has a purpose that isn't of the same vision of a
hackerspace:  building cool things.  Now if you bring it in, dissambled,
fine, or if you make it in the hackerspace, cool.  But otherwise, it's like
a meta-virus -- it contaminates not a person, but the intentions of a space.

mark
sf_x (defunct)