[hackerspaces] Firearms in Hackerspaces?

Phillip Rhodes motley.crue.fan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 22:30:15 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Al Billings <albill at openbuddha.com> wrote:
> You missed the part where I pointed out that I grew up around guns.
>
> I actually own guns. That said, I don't need to carry them to my
> hackerspace. Why do you?

You must have missed the part where I said I rarely carry at all, and
have never carried my
pistol to my hackerspace.   But, also the part where I explained that
we are in a neighborhood
that can be a bit dodgy at times, and that it can be somewhat fear
inducing to leave the space
alone in the early morning hours.  And I, for one, would prefer to
retain at least the *option* to
come packing on occasion, especially the occasions when I know I'll be
at the space
until 3:00am and will probably be the last one to leave.

Whether I ever invoke that option or not remains to be seen, but why
should I surrender
my right to defend myself?   Especially when no one in this thread yet
has provided *any*
rationale whatsoever for why guns *should* be prohibited from hackerspaces.

So I'll ask again.. what exactly is it you're worried about, and why?
Do  you have any actual
*reason* to think that a fellow hackerspace member, legally carrying a
sidearm, represents any
kind of threat?

Phil