[hackerspaces] Firearms in Hackerspaces?

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Mon Jan 14 22:22:03 CET 2013

I think it's important that people remember that first and foremost
all hackerspaces are communities.  Each hackerspace is different as
the community is different.  And the aggregate values of that space
are defined by the people that comprise the hackerspace.

There is nothing wrong with not holding the same values as other
hackerspaces and their members.  Nothing at all.  But, it is right to
accept that we are a varied global community and we will not always
agree.

Now some motherly advice.

Be respectful of the things you find in others that you disagree with.
 Engage them with an open mind if you feel you wish to engage them on
that topic at all.  And be courteous always, as it costs you
absolutely nothing to do so.  There is nothing wrong with disagreeing.
 In fact, you should challenge yourself every day by living with those
you disagree with.  You learn more about yourself and your own beliefs
by having an open dialogue with the people you do not understand than
those that you do.

hackerspaces are a meeting grounds for new ideas.  I hope that
regardless of our values individually or as communities we are always
open to the ideas we do not agree with and are willing to accept them
as the tremendous resource that they are, rather than a threat to
ourselves and the things we value.

-Matt