[hackerspaces] Firearms in Hackerspaces?

Mark Atwood me at mark.atwood.name
Mon Jan 14 20:47:26 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Pete Prodoehl <raster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's a quick question for US-based hacker/makerspaces... Do you have a firearms ban at your space, and if so, what are some of the reasons behind the decision?

We don't have a rule at our space.  Our space is a member-oriented
space, no "general public" except as guests of members or as visitors
to specific private events.

If such a rule was proposed, I would argue strongly against it.  If
someone is a legal owner/carrier of a firearm, if we can't trust them
with their gun, we can't trust them with all the tools *either*.

More generally, if someone in a makerspace is "afraid" of guns, that's
insane.  They should be afraid of all the other tools too.

..m