[hackerspaces] Cash flow?

Tamara Clammer Tamara at BrownPaperTickets.com
Wed Feb 13 03:58:30 CET 2013

Wow, thank you all so much for your thoughts on this issue! Far McKon, good
questions. I joined the space in it's third year after several transitions
to the original model had already occurred and the cash flow problem had
reached a critical point. We co-produced a quick little fundraiser to buy
some time until I could go to the 'How to Make a Makerspace' conference a
few weeks ago at Artisan's Asylym, where I hoped to find a magical solution
to our problems. Not so easy, that! Posting the cash flow question here has
generated a lot of topics for discussion within our hackerspace. In answer
to Far McKon's questions, however:

1) It sounds like you have more space than you can support on raw
membership.  How did you get into this case?  Was this a case of 'build it
and they will come' ? A case of  the space of the size you need was more
expensive than you thought?

We grew into this space, which is two rooms inside an arts building of
approximately 150 artists and artisans. Our current space is a combination
of co-working desk members and a large multi-use classroom type space. The
classroom is underutilized for things that generate income, and we are
working on ideas for how to improve this. We've considered giving up the
classroom space, but then we would be merely a co-working space and wouldn't
have room to do much more.

2) What is your space's primary focus?  'hackerspace as member-clubhouse' or
'hackerspace as education center' or 'hackerspace as
shared-tools/equipment'?  Based on what your core focus is, that can help
shape how to retain enough value to keep the lights on based on dues,
class-fees, or even equipment use/rental.

This, we need to revisit. We consider ourselves a 'learning and making
community', but perhaps we should really focus on our mission and then do
things that are mission-driven. We're a state nonprofit under the umbrella
of SchoolFactory, which unfortunately prevents us from being eligible for
some of the grants we've looked into. It does let me buy cheap beer for our
kegerator though... :)

The idea of a vending machine is good, and we've considered having vending
machines for electrical components as well. The idea of an Etsy shop for our
space is also an interesting one.

Thank you all so much for your feedback! And if you think of anything else,
I'm sure we can all benefit from your ideas - even if they seem a bit 'out
there'. You never know! And as Mark said at the beginning, there's not yet a
sustainable, multipurpose model that fits each space and situation. Maybe
we're creating it, day by day, through trial and error... but fewer errors
would be nice.

Tamara

-----
Tamara Clammer