[hackerspaces] Cash flow?

roh hs at hyte.de
Tue Feb 12 21:25:56 CET 2013

Tamara wrote:
> Hello there!

hi

> I'm seeking ideas for how to consistently cover our rent each month and
> still have some funds left over for consumables, necessities and perhaps a
> small emergency fund. We currently have a scaled membership and teach a
> number of classes each month, but there's often a gap between what we make
> each month and what we need to cover it all without panic, begging, and
> general freaking out. We've begun a series of fundraising meetings to
> discuss additional ideas for what might work, but I'm wondering - what works
> best for your hackerspace?

3 things:
a) make sure you can cover all running costs with fixed payments from
members (best if they set up something automatic like a repeating bank
transfer, atleast thats what works for us here in europe where bank
transfers are free)
b) set up something like a vending machine for drinks.(maybe also
snacks?) which makes enough money for refilling it (buy more mate),
running it(electricity), buying the machine and fixing it when it breaks
down + some surplus you need to calculate as 'earnings'.
c) you will not get around the 'begging' part completely, especially
when you have a lot of guests. set up defined, labeled
boxes/items/gadgets as kind of piggy bank.

greetings from raumfahrtagentur

--

roh