[hackerspaces] Cash flow?

Paul Brown paul90brown at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 08:39:45 CET 2013

Recurring payments are our secret weapon too. We started by using recurring
buttons <https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_subscr-intro-outside> for
memberships through paypal. Now we have a checkout system which also does
some user provisioning.

Since Dallas Makerspace is a 501(c)3, Paypal had the best pricing we could
find for our amount of transactions. They have a discounted rate of 2.2% +
$.30 per transaction for non-profits.* If you're a 501(c)3 using paypal and
not getting this rate, call them!*
*
*
Paypal also has API features which we use to track payments. Every time a
transaction is made, Paypal alerts WHMCS <http://www.whmcs.com/> that the
user made a payment and marks them as paid. At the end of the month, we
look through the people who are "overdue" and remove them from access
control. If I was to start all over again, I would probably use Freshbooks
+ Paypal. However, Freshbooks looks like it will only track users who
signed up through Freshbooks and getting all of our existing members to
sign up through freskbooks would be a pain.

If you absolutely can't stand paypal, some other (more expensive) options
for recurring payments are:
stripe.com
http://www.beanstream.com/
Google Checkout

*Side-note about payment gateways (like Authorize.net):*
Keep in mind, if you pick a payment gateway like Authorize.net, then you
will also need a merchant account (which is most of the costs). For
example, Authorize.net has a monthly fee of $20 + a per transaction fee of
$.35 and a merchant
account<http://www.dharmams.com/rates-fees/by-internet-mail-phone/non-profit>
can charge
a monthly fee of $10 + ~$.30 per transaction + ~.5% to ~2.5% depending on
the credit card. There are also setup fees for both the merchant account
and authorize.net. I think this option only makes sense if you're getting
the 200+ transactions a month that Hacker Dojo probably gets.

TL;DR: Steer clear of payment gateways unless you're huge, and use paypal
with some type of invoicing system to track payments.