[hackerspaces] question about hackerspace hourly rate, what do you think

Agent 5 ag3nt5 at dc401.org
Thu Dec 19 21:18:11 CET 2013

Florencia,

>From the Hackerspace user standpoint, myself and several other people who
are part of a local group pitched an idea to a local hackerspace which was
having similar attendance and budget issues. Our proposal involved a group
membership which would allocate a certain number of user hours. The folks
in this potential membership were interested because they really only need
to use the space for a few hours a month and the cost was too high to
justify for some based on their use... ($40-$80 per month for 32 hours of
access depending on level of volunteerism. the $80 is without
volunteering.). The group membership we were offering was somewhere in the
range of $300-$500 for 10 people to use that membership with the same
number of hours and/or use for the other memberships(32 hours) but split
between several people. This would have provided a lot more attendance and
guaranteed $300-$500 income. The membership price would depend on what your
needs are and what you think a group fee would be. But that is my
suggestion, group memberships for working professionals who may need access
to the tool for a brief period of time.
The additional benefit, would be the users who find themselves getting more
involved after having been introduced to the Hackerspace via their 3-5
hours a month, may now develop projects they can justify the cost of a full
membership. This is a concept of "growing" a customer base slowly, aka
foot-in-the-door. Many people I speak with find Hackerspaces novel, but
lack the experience or need to justify the monthly cost. A method of
generating that personal value should then be applied.

-Dave