[hackerspaces] I am no longer using google mail, you can be one too!

Ben Brown ben at generik.ca
Thu Aug 22 04:56:09 CEST 2013

Oh shit, I've never locked my hose up. Should I be doing this?

That first link is laughable. They're outraged that Google admitted most
email is very easy to peek into while it's in transit, and even quotes
their website's own 'Privacy Project director' for a statement. More
troubling is whoever this 'Privacy Project Director' is apparently
doesn't know how (unencrypted) email works.

Google says there's no expectation of privacy when 3rd parties are
involved. Is this shocking?

Google is an advertising business, nothing more. That's a good reason
enough not to use their services. Despite that, I use Google's services.
I don't have an expectation of privacy with them, that's not how their
business model works. If you're going to get offended over every
expectation of privacy issue surrounding public websites, you may as
well log off and go ride a bike. Your heart will thank you for the
reduced stress.

If you're just trolling.. well spot on

Ben