[hackerspaces] I am no longer using google mail, you can be one too!

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 04:44:44 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM, FarMcKon <eponymous at farmckon.net> wrote:
> http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/newsrelease/google-tells-court-you-cannot-expect-privacy-when-sending-messages-gmail-people-who-care

this is the 2nd dumbest thing I've heard all week.  the wording of
their analogy is really bad, but what they mean is Google has to "read
your emails" to process your filters, and do spam and virus checking,
and to display it to you.  same is true of all ISP's that offer any
sort of malware protection and web mail.  it's not like they've been
secretly analyzing emails to show you ads, they tell you that up
front.

when you send an unencrypted email it can bounce of any number of 3rd
party services, and be logged and archived at any one of them.  and
it'll be done in plain text.  almost always.  very few services use
ssl on smtp between public servers.  it's all open.  it's not at all
like sending a letter through the post office.  it's more like sending
a post card, with your message displayed on the back for all the read.

I have zero arguments against running ones own mail server, it's a
great idea.  go for it.  but don't use this bullshit article as the
reason.