[hackerspaces] Boston Marathon explosions.

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Apr 15 23:41:23 CEST 2013

Nils Hitze wrote, On 2013-04-15 13:48:
> There is a Hackerspace in Boston

It's true, there are many hacker spaces, around the world, most of them
with their own more specifically targeted mailing list.

> people are involved in this list

Which I'm going to guess counts for less than 8% of the readers of this
list. I'm sure one would gain a better response to the question "is
everyone ok and also paying attention to their email in the time of
extremely over top coverage of a near by crisis?" if it were to be
posted onto a more locale specific hacker space list.

> there was an explosion in Boston

Yes, I've had number of news sources through the internets pop up with
information about it, IRC, Google+, and my co-worker.

> we care for each other, right?

I heard from a source I can't remember that a pair of security guards to
a Middle East based hack space were attacked, possibly killed, a little
while ago, yet I can't find any caring discussion about it here.

Shit like this happens all the time around the world, to human beings
just like you and me, yet some how that's not important. It's only when
it happens so close to something we're related to, like a country or
city we reside in, with attached multimedia horror shots, then somehow
it's sensitive and important for the world to hear.

Let's flip this around and make it on topic. What could a hacker do to
prevent such a thing from happening? How would a hacker do that without
turning where they live into a military state?

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net