[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces Re:Foundation (Was Re: Abuse Of Power)

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Sat Apr 13 23:05:34 CEST 2013

Anyways...

Hackerspaces are communities first.  Everything else second.

Each community is different.  This gets back to a prior point about
defining "hackers".

Yes.  Each space is different.

Some spaces are more anarchic, others are more incorporated, others still
are living in MarkJ's panageia of whatever the hell is going on over
there.

Are they all 'hackerspaces'?

At what point does a space stop being a hackerspace and be some other
awesome thing?  This is almost inevitably something that would need to be
codified if we created a foundation.  And there is a cost benefit for doing
that.  In short, some folks will lose and stop being 'hackerspaces' this
may hurt feelings and communities.

However as we can see from this thread, sometimes having too much diversity
can be distracting.  Cell structures all people to pursue their own
community projects in the silo of their own needs, while promoting
interconnectivity with the rest of the ecosystem.  Every project and action
becomes opt in.

Better in many ways, than having 20 people shouting each other down over a
difference of opinion.  Competing ideas and projects are great.  Fostering
that is fine.

But there are going to be times when things will exist outside a
foundations scope.  And because of that they will be at a disadvantage to
those things inside of scope.  That's going to promote success in a biased
fashion.  Some folks will win from that, some will lose.  And there is a
cost benefit to be looked at there.

Personally I think we can handle it.  And I think it's long over due.  But
that's a personal opinion.  Obviously if a foundation were to succeed it
would need to be adopted as a shared risk and a shared benefit by those who
joined up to support it and be supported by it.  And that means that people
would need to agree at least on a high majority on what the right scope and
right definitions were for the orgs methodologies.

That may seem unachievable when you sit on this list and listen to the
drama, but I can assure you most of the people who are leaders in the
hackerspace community general don't have drama.  Electoral choices of core
teams for projects will work.  It's a proven design pattern.

-Matt

-Matt