[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces Re:Foundation (Was Re: Abuse Of Power)

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Sat Apr 13 21:48:07 CEST 2013

Hackerspaces are getting big enough in some regions that they are already
major financial ventures.  That means they are targets.  Hackerdojo in
silly valley got hit with some major costs by their local government.  The
had the means to survive and grow from that.  Not all spaces are in the
several hundred thousand dollars a year donations range though.

Many spaces are tiny.  Helping to bootstrap them is something that
hackerspaces.org was setup to do.  In fact I am pretty sure one of the very
first things posted there was design patterns docs.

I don't think anyone should be telling anyone else what to do.  But making
available projects for communities of contributors to own as a cell
structure within the org would allow people to quickly bootstrap efforts
with little overhead.

OpenStack for instance has many projects under it ( much like the apache
foundation, or free software foundation ).

Those projects depending on their position in the hierarchy of supported
projects have access to resources.  But they also agree to some level of
adherence to uniform standards.

The way I see it, an org like hackerspaces.org could be the shield that
exists to help lone hackers or small groups of hackers reach and make
change happen.  To provide a way for people to collaborate on efforts and
share resources.  And to be a shield when necessary for everyone.

Nothing more.  Nothing less.

Anyways I gotta go finish putting together a presentation and pack for a
flight.  I don't know if anyone is on board with this.  I know it's been
tried before at least once and gone down in flames.  But hell, hackerspaces
failed before too.  Try and fail and try again is how we get shit done.

-Matt