[hackerspaces] Idea: things.hackerspaces.org now that Thingiverse is not ok anymore

quemener.yves at free.fr quemener.yves at free.fr
Wed Sep 26 23:54:04 CEST 2012

> It comes down to "How do you feed yourself and pay the rent while you
> are designing open-source hardware products?"
> To me, this is the same question as "How do you feed yourself and pay
> the rent as an artist?" (Writer, blogger, ... Any independent
> creative
> activity -- Which is really the only one worth doing.)

The answer may be the same : you can live out of public money. R&D grants do exist and can pay for development of innovative software. I know both artists and researchers who do that for a living : find cooperations with other actors that a public body will fund. It has taken me a while to accept that this can work as a sustainable model.