[hackerspaces] New Member Vetting

Ron Bean makerspace at rbean.users.panix.com
Tue Sep 18 17:54:17 CEST 2012

> At Milwaukee Makerspace we've got a lot of equipment, some of it very
> expensive, and some of it very dangerous, and all of it owned by individual
> members, so we don't just let anyone walk in and join. We do the whole
> "come to open night, meet us, get to know us" routine, and have an existing
> member vouch for you.

Just to add to what Pete wrote above--

We haven't been enforcing the "get sponsored by two members" bit as much
as we maybe should, but we do ask people to get checked out on the
larger machines. We have had cases where people thought they knew what
they were doing, but weren't as safe as we thought they should be
(either to themselves or to the machine). Since all of our machines are
owned by members, they tend not to like it if the machine gets damaged
due to ignorance.

We've also had a few "sketchy" people show up occasionally-- using the
word "overunity" tends to be a red flag. Or thinking the CIA was after
them. AFAIK we've only had one member who was asked to leave, and I
don't know the details about that one. We'd prefer to discourage such
folks from becoming members in the first place.