[hackerspaces] Arse Elektronika 2012: 4 PLAY / Schedule online

j. grenzfurthner/monochrom (das ende der nahrungskette) jg at monochrom.at
Thu Sep 6 11:03:37 CEST 2012

Arse Elektronika 2012: 4 PLAY

####################################

monochrom's Conference on sex, technology, games, and culture.

http://www.monochrom.at/arse-elektronika

####################################

Talks, machines, games, workshops and performances.
September 27-30 in San Francisco, USA.

####################################

Gaming, like sex, is a human cultural practice of apparent frivolity.
Yet both afford surprisingly deep levels of analysis. How might
models of critical gameplay inspire deeper critical reflection on
issues of sex, and vice-versa?

What is the history of sexual games, particularly in the pre-digital
era? What were the fairground and peepshow precursors in titillation?
What was the design history of the "love tester" machine?

Why are game metaphors so prevalent in narratives of sexual conquest,
and how did popular games in history influence the thinking of
contemporary lovers? What can we learn about Roman gaming culture
from Ovid's Ars Amatoria? What determines the many definitions of
"cheating" in each of those contexts? How do the procedural rhetorics
of modern game design encourage objectification of women?

How might contemplative gaming teach us to free ourselves from the
tyranny of the climax?
How does the concept of the 'magic circle' in games coincide with
safe spaces for sexual exploration? How do players act out
transgressions of sex and gender expectations within the relatively
safer spaces of games? What can we learn about social scripts and
expectations from looking at society through a ludological lens?

What is the relationship of sex and games to the recent 'non-human
turn' in arts, science, and philosophy? How might games engender
empathy and understanding towards the non-human? What is the
technological equivalent of Alan Moore's plant-sex issue of Swamp
Thing? Could a game help you contemplate how a mantis fucks, or what
it feels like for a fern to spore?

Beyond the simple human-to-human interfaces of the now-almost-quaint
developments of sex machines and teledildonic, how might game design
interact with biometrics and haptic feedback to create entirely new
techno-sexual situations?  Game-based learning and medical
rehabilitation has been used in the past for stroke victims and the
disabled to re-learn their bodies; how might those same techniques
allow further bodily exploration towards positive pleasure? How much
might BDSM simulators borrow from virtual pet trainers? How is
predicament bondage like game design, and what can the two learn from
one another?

If we are headed towards the 'gamepocalypse' envisioned by Jesse
Schell, how might that affect our sex lives and our sexualities?

Is sex in danger of gamification?

If so, how can we stop it?