[hackerspaces] Super Awesome Sylvia needs your support!

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Thu Sep 6 07:05:09 CEST 2012

For the record, I sent this out to two lists today.  It's been about
12 hours.   Both lists have hundreds to thousands of technology
professionals on it.  So far, 4 of you folks have actually donated
anything.

I mean it's totally a case of charity and you aren't obligated to
donate money.  Certainly there are better things to invest your coin
in.  I recommend the International Red Cross.  But for the amount of
crap that's been posted to this list over the past two years about
this community not being open to 'women in technology' I find it
absolutely staggering that there isn't a massive amount of people
throwing even a little money into an effort to help a girl out that
has been exemplary in her participation in our extended community.  A
young woman who really has done more than most if not all of you to
reach out to the next generation and offer a welcoming helping hand
into this community.  A hand that is not biased in any way.

9 days left.  Only about 100 USD was donated today by about 4 people.

verify here : http://www.indiegogo.com/SuperAwesomeNY2012?c=pledges

You probably will give more to homeless people this year who want
nothing more than to get strung out on H than you will to this kid.
More to the point she's actually willing to give you something for
your money aside from a youtube show she works very hard on and posts
basically for free.

I've always had the utmost respect for the people on this list.  Even
when I've disagreed with folks.  But that's because I've always
thought that the people on this list backed up their goals, and their
beliefs with real leadership.  With actions that show people why
things can be better.  Here you have a chance to help another member
of this community make a change that many of you have been very vocal
about.  Why aren't you putting your money where your mouthes are?

I looked at the donation list today expecting to see some noticeable
good being done by this community.  Instead I found a handful of good
people, and a whole lot of unwelcoming silence.  It's pretty damned
depressing.

-Matt