[hackerspaces] "thinking of starting a hackerspace"

Lisha Sterling lishevita at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 21:41:51 CET 2012

After the last SpaceCamp I lead a workshop at Mothership HackerMoms that
was attended by Mothership HackerMoms leadership as well as some people
from Sudo Room (before they had a space) and a couple of women who were
considering starting other family-centric hackerspaces along the lines of
HackerMoms including the founder of Makersphere. The point of the workshop
was to bring all the things I'd learned at SpaceCamp back to the community.
We discussed everything from the options for governance to the practical
details about how some other hackerspaces had managed to get insurance.

It's great to have written documents to help you learn things, but there
comes a point when you just want to have that human interaction in a
classroom or workshop setting. Holding the workshop also gave an
opportunity for all of these different hackerspace leaders to discuss the
ideas, troubles, and successes in person.

If you've got a lot of people coming to ask about how to do this, maybe you
could consider running a workshop once a quarter?

Another thought, James Carlson of the School Factory and I have started
work on a series of video shows for hackerspace educators and facilitators
called The Teachers' Conference. Maybe we should do a show or two on this
subject. Do you think that would be helpful?

- Lisha

http://www.alwayssababa.com/