[hackerspaces] How To Teach a Hackerspace Class?

Lisha Sterling lishevita at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 14:58:53 CET 2012

I just want to clarify about my comments about the 3 advanced Python users
at the Intro to Python class... Had they been helping the newbie learn,
that would have been awesome. The reason that one class went so badly was
because they sort of took over the class and turned it into a masterclass
for themselves, leaving the one person who showed up for the class as
listed completely in the lurch.

I have had wonderful situations in classes, workshops and lectures where
some of the attendees were more advanced than the material being delivered,
and those people were helpful and supportive of the learning of the other
attendees. When that happens it's great.

Also, in respect of the pay issue, I make a portion of my living by
teaching these classes. I do expect students to help each other, and I do
expect to sometimes be completely out-shined by an attendee who knows more
than I do on a subject. The first is the case always, no matter where I am
teaching. The second is simply part of the culture of hackerspaces. The
classroom teachers and professors that I respect most in more traditional
settings are all about student collaboration and facilitating opportunities
for students to learn from each other. I don't believe that this is a lack
of professionalism, but rather the height of it.

- Lisha

--
http://www.alwayssababa.com/