[hackerspaces] How To Teach a Hackerspace Class?

mAcfreAk macfreak109 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 15:07:23 CET 2012

Hey guys'n'gals!

SOme time ago, I've been instoring in my local space a kinda beginner workshop named HacKids, where the mission is to try to bring youngsters (10-18 years) to hacking.
My approach was rather pragmatic. I had a topic with some sort of guideline for the first 30 minutes. After this time, I let the participants work by themselves, i.e. w/o any instruction wahtsoever. This led the kids to use their own imagination and creativity, two essential skills when starting to hack.

Topics reached from light to heavy, including Scratch development, MindStorms robotics, simple electronics, soldering introduction, solar powered robots, etc.
If you want more insights, go to : http://wiki.hackerspace.lu/wiki/HacKids_Old (old because I stopped my activity in the hackerspace).

However, this is concerning kids. With adults or youngsters, the approach could differ a bit.
The main idea remains : if you're passionate, your passion will spread and engage natural curiosity.

When it comes to "being prepared", let me tell you that as a teacher (which is my real job), you're *never* really prepared. You count on 10% chance that students will ask questions you simply don't have the answer to. But this is the beauty of it all, improvisation ;-)

HTH

mAcfreAk