[hackerspaces] Members and membership

Nathaniel Bezanson myself at telcodata.us
Thu May 31 17:23:43 CEST 2012

I've noticed a thing which probably affects all member-driven
organizations at some point: New members act like "customers", they don't
see themselves as owners/directors/stakeholders.

Three months after we formed, a new member would say something like "Are
we gonna get involved in that event I just heard about?"

Today, a new member would say something like "Are you gonna get involved
in..." or "Is i3detroit gonna get involved in..."

Part of this is self-evident. There's less organizational building and
shaping going on, so newbies are less apt to see themselves as builders
and shapers. But this also means they hesitate before diving into things,
in ways that seem to hinder their use of the space and resources.

How can we fix that? I'd like to tear down some perceived walls, make it
obvious that new members are just as valued as the old founding farts, et
cetera. Open to any and all ideas.

-Nate-