[hackerspaces] Hackerspace Bloggers/Community Managers/Marketing People?

Nathaniel Bezanson myself at telcodata.us
Thu May 31 17:15:23 CEST 2012

> Hi! I'm interested in hearing from others how you promote events at your
> hackerspace and encourage membership.

Hi Alli! *waves from Detroit*

We have this rough guide:
http://www.i3detroit.com/wi/index.php?title=HOWTO_Host_an_event_at_i3detroit

When people follow it, things usually go pretty well. Last-minute events
usually have crap attendance, etc. The important part is to get it out
there three ways (blog, -public mailinglist, twitter) at least a week in
advance.

Encouraging membership, we're not too good at that. People generally join
when they take the initiative to ask about it; there's no pushing on our
part. A little gentle solicitation would probably help.

I have some other thoughts about membership and members that I'll branch
off into a separate post. Thanks for asking!

-Nate-