[hackerspaces] Spark 181 – Mitch Altman says hackers could raise $10mil

Jerry Isdale isdale at gmail.com
Fri May 11 01:42:33 CEST 2012

Rose White asked :
> Now that I've read about the "flipped classroom" model, I think it
> sounds good for this effort--but I think that the term isn't common,
> or at least not common to folks who aren't parents or involved in
> online education. Could you explain it to the group? All I know is
> what I found on a quick search.

Flipped Classroom is a sorta new term which basically inverts the conventional lecture-in-class/practice-as-homework to watch-lectures-on-line/practice-in-class-with-mentor  The classic model here is Kahn Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org/) with its math/science videos. Many schools are finding this works very effectively for some subjects.  The Kahn videos follow a very specific model -- no talking heads, drawing hands work the problems.  The students can pause/rewind and rewatch as often as desired to understand the material -- unlike in-school lectures that go quickly (esp as students doze off, get distracted, etc) with no repeating.  Teacher/Mentors get to spend more time answering student questions and helping them work problems.

Shop classes are often taught this way - an introductory video to (insert machine tool/technique), followed by quick demo by teacher (tweaked for local model of machine, etc) and then student practice.  Its how I learned metal working basics ... followed by lots of practice.  The vids we had at my metal shop were probably 30+years old judging by the clothing, haircuts, and still images.  A couple of them even had 'ding' sounds to advance the film strip. (how many of you remember film strips?)

I've been talking up this idea a bit in the community - at School Factory, USFLN symposium, with contacts at Kahn Academy.  I think it is something well worth while.

For the Badges part - I think it would be a terrific extra for the students to create an Instructable/How-To/Documentary of their projects. One this would promote their work/portfolio, two it would get more how-tos out there, and three it would train them to pass on the knowledge.

So one early badge would be the Instructables badge.  (hmmm maybe we could get some funding from Autodesk?)

Jerry Isdale
isdale at gmail.com