[hackerspaces] Non-standard computer interfaces

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Sat Mar 3 17:38:32 CET 2012

On 2012-03-03 16:40, The Doctor wrote:
> On 03/03/2012 05:16 AM, webmind wrote:
>
>> Are there people on the list or within your space working on
>> alternative interfacing for computing/games/education for people
>> with relevant handicaps? So alternatives for using a computer
>> with limited motor control (think hawkings) or input/feedback
>> alternatives for deaf/blind or deaf-blind.
>
> I was working on this a while ago but ran into a mental block that
> I've been working on fixing for a couple of years (viz, not
> understanding how GUIs work):
>
> https://drwho.virtadpt.net/tag/ocz_nia
>
> It's my understanding that the NIA isn't manufactured anymore
> because more capable units have hit the market but it's what I've
> got to work with right now... I was experimenting with recognizing
> specific patterns of electrical activity in the forebrain and using
> them to trigger MIDI or USB HID events in my laptop, in effect
> making a simple input device.  I doubt its resolution would have
> been sufficient to replace a keyboard (maybe in time a numeric
> keypad at best) but you never know until you try.
>
> A lot of us were excited by this project but it either tanked
> spectacularly or it was a scam from the outset, we're not sure
> which:
>
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/86514518/diy-arduino-eeg
>
> I think it had a lot of potential, plus it would have been easier
> to build and test than an OpenEEG (which kicks ass on its own, make
> no mistake).

Ah cool, I'm at the moment looking more at using the skin as an
visualisation interface, I wanted to get an OpenBCI kit, but the guy
at 28c3 was sold out and no response to mails (anyone know where to
get one these 2 chip 1 pcb setups?).

- --
GPG-Key: 4096R/FCF154AE 2008-10-19 [expires: 2012-10-18]
Key fingerprint: 0506 976E 2346 53B4 A628  EC33 E23D 16EE FCF1 54AE
Key URL: https://u2m.nl/data/FCF154AE.asc