[hackerspaces] Not sure if this is the proper use of the list but...

Stewart Dickson mathartspd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 18:13:09 CEST 2012

Actually, this is extremely profound, and I see a couple of other
possibilities open up related to this.

Does anyone remember Creepy Crawlers?   The Mattel Vac-U-Form?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creepy_Crawlers
http://www.samstoybox.com/toys/Vac-U-Form.html

There are a couple of different models of Creepy Crawler / Thingmaker
An open-source CAD model for the mold blank would open up/decentralize the
Marxist Means of Production.
At a scale of about 4 inches square by a half an inch or so.   Just the
scale of patterns
you can build on a MakerBot ThingOmatic.   Creepy Crawler PlastiGoop
requires a somewhat high temperature
to cure, so you have to transfer your mold to metal (cast it) before you
can use it.

The Vac-U-Form is even easier.  Vac-U-Form pattern-making is actually the
ideal application for 3D printing.  You
can use patterns off of a Thing-o-Matic (or RepRap, or, ...) in a
Vac-U-Form without modification.  And you don't need
to match the mold footprint of the Creepy Crawler / Thingmaker.  It just
has to fit on the vacuum table.
Again, the dimensions are limited to about 4 inches square by an inch or
so.   But, so are the dimensions of
a MakerBot Cupcake.   So, you can see how this extends...

Komrades!   The Means of Production are in the hands of the People!

-Stewart