[hackerspaces] 501c3 and hackerspaces in the US

James Carlson james at schoolfactory.org
Sat Jul 7 00:24:00 CEST 2012

We haven't been restricted in our use of 501c3 in any way for the last ten
years. The IRS looks for certain things through their 'red flag' detector,
and if you do them with money you've received through the c3 as a donation
or otherwise, it will likely trigger action:
* Political engagement with a specific candidate (not allowed with c3)
* All your donations entirely coming from a single source (then you're not
a charity, you're a foundation)
* Any money earned ever being paid to board directors
* Money earned being more--a lot more, by ratio--than money given (you
receive 5% in gifts and 95% from selling a product)
While a c3 must be organized for these 'scientific, educational, artistic
purposes' it's always possible to define what you do in those terms in some
way, and even brings additional discipline to the work of the org. We've
never found ourselves running afield of our designation. (Of course, if we
tried to open a health clinic, we would. Or if we tried to get involved in
politics. But we have other reasons for avoiding all that.)