[hackerspaces] B Corporations? Re: 501c3 and hackerspaces in the US

Mark Janssen-Rosenbluth dreamingforward at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 01:58:48 CEST 2012

Given the current economic system of the US, my opinion is that the B Corp
is the best option for registering a hackerspace.  It doesn't have the
charity stigma of a non-profit, nor the obligation to shareholders for
profit generation -- it can just create value to the community.

The main issue for hackerspaces though probably isn't its legal status as
much as convincing the establishment of its viability as a new, sustainable
model (although I think regsitering as a B Corp, you will get the benefit
of group representation).  See also the answer on Quora.com:  "What are the
best practices developing for hackerspaces?" and bcorporation.net.

Cheers,

mark