[hackerspaces] 501c3 and hackerspaces in the US

James Carlson james at schoolfactory.org
Fri Jul 6 01:17:39 CEST 2012

What we've gotten out of it with Bucketworks:

   1. Free things -- lots of free things
   2. Ability to get large gifts
   3. Discounted things (wifi infrastructure at 1/10th the cost, for
   example.)
   4. Easy to make partnerships with like-minded organizations
   5. A legal requirement for transparency we have to honor; we would
   anyway, but no one can ever change that by force
   6. Flexibility-- we also created a for-profit and use both a non- and
   for-profit in concert (Bucket Brigade)
   7. Incredibly reduced rents, for a time.

Just some of the examples.

What it's cost:

   1. Compliance efforts are high.
   2. Audits cost between $2.5-$5k / year, but are key to unlock funds.
   3. Oversight and monitoring requirements are high (but we're using our
   501c3 under 'heavy load.' For other Space Federation spaces this year we've
   processed a total of $39,000 in donations both cash and in-kind.)
   4. Extra care with the whole topic of this thread.

There are pros and cons to it for sure. That's the whole argument for
sharing a c3, in that we can spread out some of the costs and overhead. (A
lot like a table saw, really.)